Thursday, January 23, 2014

Here There Be Dragon's - A Story of A Girl & Company

I recently stumbled upon a story that left me speechless and appreciative of the efforts of those that took the extra time for the benefit for one child. 

Who

  •  A little girl named Sophie (age 7) 
  •  CSIRO, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, is Australia's national science agency and one of the largest and most diverse research agencies in the world.
What

letterSophie wrote to the CSIRO and asked for a dragon.

Hello Lovely Scientist

My name is Sophie and I am 7 years old. My dad told me about the scientists at the CSIRO. Would it be possible if you can make a dragon for me. I would like it if you could but if you can’t thats fine. 
I would call it toothless if it was a girl and if it is a boy I would name it Stuart. 
I would keep it in my special green grass area where there are lots of space. I would feed it raw fish and I would put a collar on it. If it got hurt I would bandage it if it hurt himself. I would play with it every weekend when there is no school. 
Love from Sophie
CSIRO took the time to reply & also posted their reply on their blog:
We’ve been doing science since 1926 and we’re quite proud of what we have achieved. We’ve put polymer banknotes in your wallet, insect repellent on your limbs and Wi-Fi in your devices. But we’ve missed something.
There are no dragons.
Over the past 87 odd years we have not been able to create a dragon or dragon eggs. We have sighted an eastern bearded dragon at one of our telescopes, observed dragonflies and even measured body temperatures of the mallee dragon. But our work has never ventured into dragons of the mythical, fire breathing variety.
And for this Australia, we are sorry.
Now that alone was awesome & the kudos for taking the time to answer a little girl's letter with such honesty and integrity without casting it aside! But wait for it there is more...A week after the original blog post the made a follow up post...
What could it be? What more could they have done? 
They made Sophie's dream come true. Using a 3D printer they made her a dragon per her request & then sent it to her!
3D_ToothlessSophie and Toothless.
Sophie’s mother Melissah said Sophie was overjoyed with our response and has been telling everyone dragon breath can be a new fuel. “All her friends are now saying they want to be a scientist and Sophie says she now wants to work at CSIRO. She’s saying Australian scientists can do anything,” Melissah told the Canberra Times.
Sometime all it takes is a bit of time, a bit of effort and the willingness to change a child forever!
Via CSIRO NewsBlog
For More Info Media: Vanessa Hill,  +61 412 409 971  vanessa.hill@csiro.au.




No comments: